The Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT) Course is a
comprehensive program consisting of both classroom (didactic), skills lab,
clinical (hospital observation) and field (ambulance observation) components.
The course adheres to the 2009 National EMS Education Standards which are based
on the National EMS Core Content and the National EMS Scope of Practice that
define the minimal entry-level educational competencies for each level of EMS
training and has replaced the DOT National Standards curricula used in the
The course consists of 168 hours of classroom time that
includes hands-on skills training sessions. The student will be scheduled to complete a clinical internship rotation consisting of two 12-hour shifts in the emergency room
where they will observe and assist with the assessment and management
of patients within the scope of practice for the AEMT. The student is also
required to complete three 12-hour shifts in the rehospital setting with an EMS
agency. Students are required to demonstrate the ability to assess
and manage a minimum of 10 patients and document the care.
Students who successfully complete this course are eligible to
take the National Registry of EMTs psychomotor and cognitive exams which lead to
certification at the AEMT level in the State of Washington, as well as with the
National Registry of EMTs.
Student Policy Manual
Appeal and Grievance Process
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Didactic & Internship Evaluation Policy
Employment During Class
HIPAA & Confidentiality
Leave of Absence
Previous Didactic and Clinical Credit Policy
Promotion and Graduation
Smoking & Tobacco
Student Counseling and Evaluations
Student Performance Guidelines
Testing and Grading Criteria
Transcripts and Letters of Recommendation
Uniform and Personal Appearance
Vacation and Holidays – School Closures
Withdrawal and Readmission
Register and pay for course here https://courseregistration.inhs.org
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, apply, and evaluate the clinical information relative to his/her role as an entry level Advanced EMT
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in all skills necessary to fulfill the role of entry level Advanced EMT.
- Demonstrate personal behaviors consistent with professional and employer expectations for the entry level Advanced EMT.
Classroom Hours: 168 (Includes – Didactic, Practical Skills and Examinations)
Clinical Rotation (ER): 24
Internship (Field): 36
Total Required Hours = 228
- Be 17 years of age at the time of enrollment
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Provide proof of current certification as an EMT with at least one year of experience
- Be physically capable of performing the essential duties of an AEMT
- Hold a current CPR course completion card at the American Heart Association "Healthcare Provider” level or the American Red Cross "CPR for the Professional Rescuer” level
You may apply for admission into the AEMT Course by completing the application available below. The application deadline is two weeks prior to the start of the course and a maximum of 24 students will be accepted on a first come-first served basis.
Advanced EMT Application Packet
Tuition Click here to see course fees and tuition
- All Tuition must be paid by the first day of class unless arrangements are made. Fees are subject to change.
Testing and Certification
Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a certificate of completion which will allow the student to take the National Registry of EMTs psychomotor examination and the cognitive computer adaptive test (CAT). Successful completion of the National Registry of EMTs examinations will then allow the students to complete the Washington State Department of Health Initial EMS Certification Application Packet.
To register with the National Registry of EMTs www.nremt.org
Washington State Department of Health EMT Initial Application http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/emstrauma/initcert.htm#Top
INHS holds one Advanced EMT Class a year, click here to dates for our upcoming class.